Fleet management is multi-faceted, requiring apps that “think” beyond the basics, like routing or general maps. Developers must be attuned to API and SDK dynamics and what they offer in terms of true value for fleet managers.
There are several popular API and SDK extensions that align with specific fleet management needs, including:
- Fleet Connectivity improves two-way communication between dispatchers and units within the fleet
- Navigation Sequences allow fleet managers to strategically schedule waypoint order so travel time and distance are used to their best advantage
- Custom Routes introduce unique road/route mapping networks using overlay maps containing modified road links
- Geofencing keeps track of where fleet units are located within a certain user-defined geographic location
- Real-Time Traffic provides data about traffic flow or incidents that could hinder transport or delivery, allowing dispatchers to immediately evaluate and rectify potential problems
- Weather, like traffic, can cause unanticipated delays, but real-time data can help fleet managers assess conditions in any location to curtail weather-related impact
Enhancing fleet management software improves functionality, but there are larger benefits that really make app development using API and SDK extensions attractive to end-users, such as:
- Better time management in nearly every area of the fleet operation
- Quality customer service, from recordkeeping and billing to reporting in-transit load status and accurate delivery times
- Reduced costs and operating expenses by streamlining paperwork and certain processes
- More efficient route planning and the potential for increasing the number of daily trips by minimizing downtime and maximizing vehicle usage
Technology plays a pivotal role in overall fleet management success, and apps that leverage API and SDK extensions only enrich the experience for end-users, helping them do their jobs better and faster. Learn more about API performance, parameters and functionality in 4 Steps App Developers Must Take to Build Apps Using Map APIs. Click the button below to access your copy now.